Saturday, December 22, 2012

Angry Birds and Barbies

Christmas is here....well almost.


As I sit here and think about what I have been doing for the past few hours, I can't help but be overwhelmed with joy. I am so blessed by so many people in my life.

Tonight I got to express my love to a very sweet family by giving them some presents...(and oooohhh was I excited!).

As I sat and watched these two precious children, that I have truly fallen in love with, rip (with such grace) open the brightly colored wrapping paper and gaze on with WIDE eyes at what they saw, that now belonged to them, my heart wanted to burst. This was not because I bought them the perfect thing but rather that they were more filled with joy at the moment, then the moment before (if thats even possible). As we sat for a little while and played with Angry Birds and Barbies, I am ecstatic, I want sit in this moment forever.

This family has let me in, encouraged me, loved me, and made me feel more joyful and included then I have felt in so long. They want to hear about my heart and the things I have seen and done. They simply want to listen and take it all in. And I dont think I will ever understand why they even want to be around, let alone talk with me, laugh with me, and simply spend time. But I am thankful for it.

They have let me into their house, into their family, and into their hearts and I never want to leave.

As we play Angry Birds and Barbies, I love the imagery as I see these two precious children play with toys I couldnt wait to buy, is this how Jesus feels when we love and enjoy the "presents" He gives us every day?

As I play with Bell (the Barbie), I dress and undress her to this little girls amusement....

"the pink dress is for dinner"
"What is she going to have for dinner?"
"soup"
"what kind?"
"Rice"
"yum"
"the yellow dress is for the dance"
"And who is she going to dance with?"
"The beast but he is going to be really nice to her"
"of course, well is the blue dress for school?"
"No, princess' dont go to school."

"really?! I think princess' do go to school and that's why they are so smart."
"yeah maybe"

conclusion: she will wear pretty dresses, the boy will be nice, and she wont have to go to school.

as I sit with her I pray for her, loving this little girl with my whole heart, not wanting to stop playing and laughing. I pray that her life becomes a simply but radical love with Jesus. I pray that she may meet Jesus in her dreams and never want to look at anything else. I pray that she sees hope in life rather then despair. I pray that she may see a true and intense love that only comes from Jesus. I pray that her heart and mind may be guarded from the sadness and hurt of this world, not shielded or sheltered from it but rather when it did happen, she would look to Jesus.

"Ms. Emily its your turn."
clearly it was my turn to launch the angry bird into the tower this sweet boy made.

(thinking there is no way ill make it, what am I doing?!)

I shoot it, I miss.
oh well
Angry Birds sillyness is everywhere, we are laughing the pigs and the birds...who knows what will happen next! As we all sit there and laugh and play, I am joyful, my heart wants to explode. I am blessed by these four human beings who have entrusted me into their lives and I am loving it!
As I sit with this boy who loves to tell jokes I barely understand but somehow I still think its funny, who has the most incredible laugh I have ever heard, and who is thoughtful and truly hilarious, I can't help but want to hug him!

I pray for him. I pray for his heart, as he grows up I hope he continues to be both thoughtful and hilarious. I pray that he may fall in love with Jesus more and more every day. I pray that God will guide the choices he makes in his life. I pray that he may align his heart with Jesus and that His desires would be his desires. I pray that he may love his sister and protect her with all that he is.

As I pray and thank Jesus for these two beautiful children, I cannot help but be thankful for so many things that I have and people that I know. I cannot help but think about my sweet babies in Masii, or my family at MCC, or my students at Masii Academy. I am blessed with this weird heart to simply see children love Jesus more than anything else.

as these two open (and squeal...wouldn't YOU squeal over a Barbie?), I can't help but almost become overwhelmed with tears, as I recognize THIS is how Jesus wants US to be with HIM! He gives us so many things (big and small) through out each day, what if we were this excited to receive His gifts every day? Shouldn't I laugh with joy as I spend time with my Savior, and smile with gladness as I sign praises to my King?

It's easy to say
"have faith like a child"
"just see life through the eyes of children"
and every other cliche thing about children and life....

but what if we REALLY did it?
fully?

What if we enjoyed the gifts that He has graciously given to us each and every day. 
wake up and laugh...
truly enjoy your life because Jesus is so gracious and joyful with us. 


Pray for the little children in your life, because they see Jesus in a much simpler way then we (as grow ups) do.

No comments:

Post a Comment