Sunday, August 4, 2013

Freedom.

Freedom means "the power to determine action without restraint". (dictionary.com)

We celebrate the 4th of July, for some people they celebrate it even bigger than Christmas. But WHAT is freedom? Is it simply the thing we celebrate on the 4th day of the 7th month every year?  Is it something that came out of the revolutionary war? Can the term freedom only be used when you are not physically in shackles anymore?

Recently in my life, I have learned what FREEDOM and HEALING in Jesus looks (& feels) like. We sing so many songs about Jesus being our Savior. But honestly, for me, I never even understood why we sang that, I never saw what I needed saving from. I wish that I could share what the last year has been for me, and what Jesus has done in my life and in my heart. Thankfully, (I learned) Jesus DID SAVE ME, from so many things, mostly from the hurt and pain, I had and that kept inside myself.

I recently heard a song called ALIVE by Hillsong Young and Free. It is by the youth of Hillsong church, which I didn’t even know until after I started reading more about this project. I love this song because EVERY SINGLE WORD speaks truth and brings light to the FREEDOM that Jesus brings to our lives. I also love this song because it’s a song that we would jump around to at camp or one that makes you want to scream the words or dance to it.

Here are the lyrics:
I was lost with a broken heart
You picked me up, now I’m set apart
From the ash I am born again
Forever saved in the Saviors hands

You are more than my words could say
I’ll follow you, Lord, for all my days
Fix my eyes follow in your ways
Forever free in unending grace

Chorus:
Cause you are, you are, you are my freedom
We lift you higher, lift you higher,
Your love, your love, your love never ending
You are alive in us, nothing can take your place
You are all we need, your love had set us free

In the midst of the darkest night
Let your love be the shining light
Breaking chains that were holding me
You send your Son down to set me free

Everything in this world will fade
I’m pressing on till I see your face
I will live that your will be done
I won’t stop till your kingdom come

Chorus (2x)

HERE IS THE LINK TO LISTEN TO THE SONG ON YOUTUBE:


Isn’t it neat, that our lives, what we have done, what we are doing, and what we will do, is all because of the FREEDOM we have in Jesus?!

There is freedom in the idea that where I live (both in Chino and Masii) I can worship a Savior who never fails. There is freedom in the idea that I CAN go to places where there are people who cannot worship Jesus freely, yet I am called to GO to THOSE places. There is freedom in the way we live our lives. The very essence of WHO Jesus is, screams freedom. God gave his ONLY son, to DIE, so that I am CHOOSE (and not be “forced) to be in love with a Savior, who daily saves me from myself.

So thankful for the FREEDOM I feel to be called to somewhere I now call home, that even at the end of 3 months at "home" I one day begin to feel "homesick" for Chino and for my family. THAT freedom is ONLY found in Jesus. (He never said it would be easy, He just asks us to say YES)

I am so grateful to be in love with a Savior who is constantly granting me more people to share who HE is with them. I am so grateful to serve a God who never looked at my life and said “this is too bad” or “I am done with you”, He continually surpasses the small things I can understand, and proves again how BIG HE IS.

I am thankful that  as I prepare to go back to Chino, and begin (now) to stress about the things that seem too big for me to handle, I am thankful to be in love with Jesus, who continues to take my burdens and carry them for me. I am thankful that He has gone before me and settled everything that I cannot see.

As I listen to this song, ALIVE by Hillsong Young and Free, I cannot help but cry and be reminded of Jesus great love for us that He displays through the FREEDOM that He gives us. I am so honored that I was called to Masii for these last 3 months (11 days to go), and that HE mended my broken heart (& spirit) so that I may come and share HIS light and what He has done in me with the people here.


Thank you, Jesus for this extraordinary life and this incomprehensible journey. 

1 comment: