Monday, August 6, 2012

goodbye (1)

As I sit here and end my second to last full day here in Masii, my heart is eager to see my family yet hurt that I have to go to a place that I only wish felt this much like home. Today I was given a ridiculously amazing goodbye party at school. We were fed an extravagant lunch, with rice, stew, cowpeas (beans), and chipatii, we were given soda, and biscuits (crackers). I also received some beautiful presents! And on top of all of that, there was an "assembly" and they honored me with kind words, prayers, and singing. I feel so honored to have served and taught with the amazing teachers at Masii Academy and even more blessed to teach such intelligent and beautiful children! As I prepare to leave, (in every way short of actually packing) I feel weird. There is really no better way to explain it than that. Whenever I am anywhere but here, my heart longs to be here, the place where I find true peace. As I attempt to prepare my heart for the hardest part of coming here, I try to sift through the feelings I have had and excited as I try to think of the first thing I long to share with my family. Tonight I ate dinner at Pastor William and Maggie's house, he asked me what was one of my most memorable moments. How do I even begin to answer that? Was it the first moment I stood in front of my class and fulfilling a (literally) life long dream? Was it the first time I saw Faith again? Was it the first time I was called Teacher Mwende? Was it the time I was reunited with Martin (our Tumaini child)? Was it the time I got malaria, and now being able to relate to others who are sick and dying of this disease? or was it today, when I was beyond blessed by the kind words of people I just met 3 months ago?
Through out all these experiences, the Lord has done a number on my heart and taught me what true joy looks like, and how to love and be loved. We serve a BIG God and He can do BIG things in our lives if we let Him.
As I go into my last day, here in Masii, I will try to fight the courage not to cry and be sad because I know that I will return and that this place is now my home, and where my heart will stay forever.







1 comment:

  1. Oh Emily,
    Thank you for your beautiful, beautiful posts. You gift us with a look inside your amazing heart. Blessings and prayers for your travels. We do indeed have a big God who has given you a huge heart for this part of His creation.
    Much love, Melanie

    ReplyDelete