Monday, July 15, 2013

mosquito nets

Facts about mosquito nets:
-Mosquito nets can be made from cottonpolyethylenepolyesterpolypropylene, or nylon
-The size of the netting should be big enough to fit around the person inside the netting without it touching them
- It is said that Cleopatra, Queen of Egypt slept under a mosquito net.
-Mosquito nets do reduce air flow to an extent and sleeping under a net is hotter than sleeping without one, which can be uncomfortable in tropical areas without air-conditioning.
-There is such a thing as treated mosquito nets, which help further reduce the chance of getting bit by mosquitoes.
-You do, in fact, feel like a princess while sleeping under one! (ok, not fact, just my opinion)
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
For the last month or so, I have been thinking, praying, and saving money to be able to buy 60 mosquito nets for 350 shillings each (which equals 21,000 shillings, which equals ABOUT $215). I had been waiting for today, for awhile, simply because I had been thinking about it (practically obsessing about it) for what felt like forever. 

Finally! 
Today came! 

We left this morning and picked up the mosquito nets from Machakos (which is completely out of our way from the school). As I saw the man come out of the store, with a GIANT bag filled with mosquito nets, I began to realize what was about to happen. 

As we drove back through Masii, and then finally on the road to Wamunyu, I tried to think about something else, like how excited I was for EACH person in the bus to experience this BEAUTIFUL school for the first time ever. 

I LOVE this school. I fell in love with them the first time I ever came last year. The teachers are so courageous and gracious. The students are so joyful and hopeful. 

As we drove through the familiar (to me) blue gates and the (surprisingly) newly painted sign, I became overwhelmingly joyful in my heart. Once again, being reminded of how truly extraordinary it is that I get to be here and love on the people here. 

We filed out of the bus, and into the office where we did introductions, then we got a tour and then we listened to the beautiful melodies of their voices. Honestly by this point, I had almost forgotten about my surprise because I was so overwhelmed with simply being there! 

Finally, we got the mosquito nets out of the bus. I was nervous because I really did not know how it would all go over. (would they even like them?! would they understand?! would they care?!) As I was sitting there, I needed to give it to the Lord because it was a gift and their reactions were simply unimportant because I KNOW they needed them. 

As Pastor William presented the nets to them, he explained that I bought them as a gift to them (and so on and so forth). It was so neat to be filled with joy because of giving in the name of Jesus. Then we were able to pass one mosquito net out to EACH student. It was so incredible to SEE each student hold up a simple mosquito net with so much pride! 

I originally wanted to hang up ALL of the mosquito nets BUT due to both American and Kenyan stubbornness, the hanging up of the nets became harder than it needed to be. Yet, we DID hang up mosquito nets for an entire row of beds in the girls dorm. There were so many wonderful things that happened as these were being hung up, that it definitely outweighed the other stuff. One of my favorite things about the mosquito nets is that they are BLUE!!! They are SO gorgeous!! The BEST part of the WHOLE day was when the girls ran in and screamed and giggled as they kicked off their shoes and jumped in their beds under the mosquito nets. It was SO fun to sit under the mosquito nets with the girls and laugh with them, as they were filled with joy at their new nets. 

Its funny, how I totally forgot that we were even at a mentally handicapped school. Its so easy to have happen when each student was filled with so much joy, confidence, and grace that they were showing US what it looked like to be a joyful child of God. 

As we were leaving, everyone from our team (ok maybe just Dad, Mom, Rick, and Sarah), were saying good job and thank you and you are awesome, because of what I did. Its funny to me because I totally did NOT see it that way. Actually, I felt so blessed by the Lord to be given this beautiful opportunity to be able to give something to simple, that will in fact help these children from getting malaria. I am so incredibly blessed to be able to share what I have and give to others. 

please enjoy these BEAUTIFUL pictures from today 
(THANK YOU Sarah!)









GIRLS DORMS

the beds on just ONE side of the dorm

this is what chaos looks like 




they are a beautiful BLUE color! 

right after I heard Vicky yell "Mwende, COME", I jumped onto her bed under her NEW mosquito net with her

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS is Vicky. She is a "street kid" from Masii Christian Chapel, who lives at Wamunyu Disability school, but she goes to and boards at another school. (because the teachers are on strike, she is currently living at this school since she has no where else to go) I met Vicky last year, and I fell in love (I know, surprising, right?!). She is 10 years old and in class three and when she grows up she wants to be a doctor , like Dr. Stanley Mutunga. 

No comments:

Post a Comment