Thursday, June 28, 2012

stickers

I walk into the classroom and all they want is stickers, that's it.
I give them stickers for doing their work, for doing something I asked them to do, and for any other things that I think are extraordinary. Today I even said "I am the teacher, so I will decide when and why you get a sticker." (too rough?!)
I grade their homework, and quickly put a sticker on it.
They laugh with which one I have chosen.
(I let the third graders pick the sticker they want, but I have decided that it's too overwhelming for my second graders, they can't decide!)
They ask me for more, knowing that if they ask enough I will probably just give them one, but I have realized that I still have 5 more weeks and I am running out so I decided to be more strict (if you know me, and how I am with kids, you know that this never works!).
I feel bombarded as they step on my toes and shirt to make sure they get one, its the end of the day so I just give them away. I want to hug and kiss all of these students, even as they bring me to tears by making me feel overwhelmed.
These children have become an avenue in which Jesus speaks SO clearly to me through them. It's incredible to stand there and stare into the eyes of these children who have sadly become the "least of these" yet somehow are the easiest munchkins in the whole world to love. As they jump up and down, for a sticker that wont stay sticky enough for them to make it all the way home. I am stunned at their assurance that I wont get mad, or how they don't really care what else is happening they just want touch and hold that sticker, the stickers that their mzungu teacher brought from the "super hero country". Many of them take the stickers our of their workbook, and stick them on something more permanent (they just throw away [burn them] their workbooks when they have used the last page). Some students, I have given the paper that the stickers come on, and some are filled! They show me joyously, and I try to recall handing out THAT many!
Jesus came so that we may have a PERSONAL relationship with Him. He desires us to just spend time with Him, for us to just squeal with excitement as we desire to hold His hand and receive His blessings (in my case, some shiny stickers). You know that longing in your heart? The one that says that something is missing? The longing that, makes you watch romantic movies only to end in bitter tears because thats something you want?! I know where you can get it. I know why you have that longing and why you feel like something is missing. It's Jesus. We can go to church and say we are Christians until eternity but what about the longing? what about the longing you feel to feel like you belong and that you are important?
I have done nothing for these kids but make sure they know that they are love, cherished, honored, and important. When they hug me, I hug back, when they talk, I look into their eyes, even if I dont understand, if they tug on my skirt, I pick them up.
Jesus DIED so that we would know we are important. We cannot live our lives in a way that every moment is lived by someone who is UNimportant. He died so you would know that you are worth it! Step out into your day and into your life and know that whether you want some stickers, or the aching in your heart to go away, Jesus came so you can have it all and feel worthy of it!

1 comment: