Saturday, June 1, 2013

He picked me...

"You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you." John 15:16 

I have always loved this verse because I am in love with this idea that Jesus CHOSE ME! Sometimes it's funny to think about, how selfish am I, that I simply want to be chosen by the King of Kings.... but in reality, it makes choosing Him something that shouldn't require hesitation. (shouldn't)

Our lives sometimes feel overly consumed my people, conversations, jobs, money, issues, problems, frustrations, heartache, heartbreak, and whatever else we can find to fill our time. Even the people here, sometimes work too hard and find themselves overwhelmed with all the things they need to do. 

"And he said to them, "Come away by yourselves to a desolate place and rest a while." For many were coming and going, and they had no leisure even to eat." Mark 6:31

Jesus never said following Him would be easy, but He promises it will be worth it. And He ultimately promises to carry you through the things that are hard.
 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30

Being here, it's easy to allow room for Jesus to carry me through the things, I dont understand and the things that are hard to see and here. 

AT LEAST, once a day, here, I get brought aside from someone and they begin to tell me their story, each one different yet each one having an underlining question. How much money can I give them. It's always hard to hear stories and walk away without my jaw visibly dropping open. This definitely goes back to how Kenyans view Americans being wealthy because of their skin color. Yet, for me, a 22 year old college student, coming here to help, yet going home to one more year of school and thousands of dollars in school debt, but some how still has a hard time bringing dealing with money into reality. I have spent a lot of nights staying up late, with the Lord, in tears, begging that maybe tomorrow no one will say or tell me something that may be more than I can handle. I had 3 teachers at school, come to me on different days and tell me how wonderful I am and how i am their friend and how much they love me, before jumping into a story about how their sister died and their two nephews are left alone and have no way to pay for school, or how her son wants to come to America to have a better life and that I should send him there. I don't have the heart to look at them in the eyes, as my eyes are getting bigger by the second, if only I could share somehow, the burden that I now carry because these people are so willing to share with someone who they think can help them. It's hard to put things in perspective for people here, once someone found out how much Point Loma costs and they asked me how I pay for, my response? "I don't I just took out loans from the government that I will probably be paying back for the rest of my life." I probably should have sat down when I said that, since it almost made me fall over. It's true but I am never going to convince anyone here that, I didn't pay for school or even that I CANT pay for it. It is simply by the grace and power of Jesus that I was able to come here and spend time with the people. 

But what about when so many need something from you,that you may not even know where to take it or how to deal with it. I live for this place but it doesnt make it any easier when I step into a situation where I know that someone will bring up how they are carrying a burden that they wish for me to help them with. So after each person' story, I pray with them and tell them I will do all I can.

The truth is there is no way I could carry this all by myself, it is only through Jesus that I can even see all this hurt. I can only bring it to Him and He will do the rest.

"I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." John 14:18

I am grateful that no matter how much those around me hurt or how much I hurt, Jesus will never leave us. 

If only we always remembered that. 

Jesus PICKED you, He CHOSE you....

“I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish he didn't trust me so much.” -Mother Teresa

And He will never give you anything you can't handle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment