Thursday, June 13, 2013

The New Girl

Her name is Purity, she is in class 3, and she is so gorgeous.
In the middle of second grade and seventh grade, we moved, and thus I was the “new girl” for the rest of the year. I have wanted to be a teacher my whole life, but my experiences during these two times in my life, only fueled that passion more. In second grade, I had one of the kindest teachers I have ever had, her name was Mrs. Rogers and I immediately made so many good friends (that I still keep in contact with on FB today!). My experience in seventh grade was quite different; my teacher(s) were rude, and inconsiderate that I just moved to this new town and new school in the middle of the oddest years in anyone’s life. I didn’t make friends that year, in fact from day one some random girl wanted to beat me up (we graduated HS together and I still don’t know why she wanted to)!! During these two times in my life, I saw both what a teacher should and shouldn’t behave like when a new students enters the class far into the semester (here it’s trimesters).  It has always been something I have looked forward to facing because it’s a situation so close to my heart.
Immediately upon arrival this morning, I saw this new little girl sitting in the back on my class 3. At first she looked like she was in the wrong class just because she looked a bit older than the others kids, then I realized that she simply had her first day yesterday and now she has a crazy “mzungu” teacher on her second day! At first, she was put off by the idea that I was about to teacher her class some math for the first 40 minutes of the morning. I asked her actual teacher, Mrs. Kilonzi, if she would mind telling Purity that I teach this class for just two periods a day. Purity was soon excited by this idea and I saw that the other students were both kind and inviting to her as she learned the quirks that make this class so special. She also learned quickly that I am definitely not like any teacher she has ever had before. She probably thinks I am a bit crazy, since they students hardly raise their hands like they should, they hardly ever stay in their seats, and I let them come up and write on the board when they know an answer (easier with math than anything else).
Today will always be close to my heart because I (hopefully did a good job &) lived a real dream of being a KIND teacher to the NEW student.  Sounds silly but it’s true.

She is precious, gorgeous and smart and I am blessed to be her teacher!

Pray for Purity as she goes through each day at a new school, with new teachers, and new friends!

(no picture because, silly me forgot my camera)

No comments:

Post a Comment